Vacancy - Apprentice Project Engineer
Apprentice Project Engineer
Malakoff are looking for a suitable candidate to apprentice as a Project Engineer. Training will be work based and the successful candidate will complete a SVQ level 3 in Construction Contracting Operations. The apprenticeship will be over 4 years, and for the right person the position could lead to a work placed degree in engineering (carried out through distance learning with the Robert Gordon’s University).
The position will involve varied work, including:
- CAD/Engineering drawing.
- Design of steel, stainless and aluminium components.
- Management and quality control of welding, painting, and other works.
- Job planning and procurement.
- Marine and vessel surveys (for assessment of required works).
- Cost estimation and pricing.
The apprenticeship programme will enable the candidate to develop the following skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of the technical aspects of welding and joining (steel and consumable types, etc).
- Knowledge and experience of the technical aspects of marine coatings (paint types, film thicknesses, paint inspection techniques, etc).
- Knowledge and experience of project management techniques (procurement strategies, job planning, programme planning, labour allocation, etc).
- Knowledge and experience of quality management systems and associated documentation.
- Experience in cost estimation and how to survey structures and vessels to assess required works.
The ideal candidate would have relevant higher or advanced higher qualifications (or equivalent), would be interested in a career in engineering, and would show a practical and logical attitude to work. For the right candidate the position could lead to a long term career in the marine industry.
The position will be based in our Lerwick facilities but travel throughout Shetland will also be required.